Sunday, February 7, 2010

Adoption vs. Breeder






The topic of this post is very important to me and dear to my heart. Being a "doggy mama" to two adopted dogs I know all about the joy and frustration these furry creatures bring into our lives.

Today I took a trip to our local animal control facility and as always left feeling broken hearted for these beautiful dogs in need of a good home. On average a dog will stay at the pound for 5 days, if they are not adopted they are euthanized. Most of the dogs have potential to be great family dogs but are not given a chance due to their size,smell,breed, or age. Many people don't realize how serious of an issue this is and how many animal's lives are cut short due to lack of knowledge and interest.

Why do I blame the breeders? Breeding dogs is a business. Therefore they are out to make a profit like any other business. If breeding was monitored more families would go to their local dog shelters & pounds to find their new addition NOT a breeder. I don't mean to make breeder's sounds like the villain in this post but I do believe their ethics come into question. Why purposely bring more dogs into this world when their are SO many out on the streets, in the pounds, and put to death every single day!?

I could go on & on but I will spare you...these pictures tell a lot more than I can write in this post. Next time you think you want to add an animal to your family, please consider adoption. I know it's one of the best decision's we've ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment